Ponta Malongane

Border and Travel Infomation.

Please read this info when traveling with children - click here.

Ponta Malongane Border and Travel Info - What I need to do at the border and other info. Travelling from South African to Ponta Malongane, Mozambique is generally simple, however please make yourself familiar with the following aspects to ensure a smooth border crossing.

At the border post you will need:
To Buy 3rd party insurance, plus temporary import duty of R175.00 for your vehicle.

Temporary import license should you be towing a boat / trailer / wet bike etc. This will be in the region of R 90.00.

Car registration papers. If you do not have these and the vehicle is owned by the bank or someone else. You will then need a certified copy of the registration papers and a certified letter from the bank / owner stating that you are paying / or allowed to use the vehicle in Mozambique.

A letter of permission from your vehicle insurance company stating that you may take your car into Mozambique and will still remain covered whilst there.

A visa (Please check with the Mozambican embassy whether your nationality requires a visa). South African Passport holders DO NOT require visas.
On the 18th July 2014, existing regulations regarding the issuing of a visa have been enforced more strictly. This in essence requires that all Non SA Passport travellers to Mozambique must apply for a tourist visa in their home country. Border visas are only issued to people coming from countries where there is no Mozambican consular representation.
We continue to recommend that international travellers pre-apply for visas as we want to ensure all our guests arrive without any issues.

Please make sure that your passport is valid for at least 6 months from the day you enter Mozambique.

No animals are permitted over the border.

Visitors are exempt from paying import duty on personal effects, sporting and recreational equipment and food and consumables as follows: 2.25 litres wine, 1 litre spirits, 200 cigarettes, 100 cigarillos, 50 cigars, 250 ml eau de toilette, 50 ml perfume.

Alcohol is permitted to be taken over the border, however the following limits apply:
1 x case of beer per person over the age of 18 years.
1 x bottle of spirits per person over the age of 18 years.
120% will be charged on any items over this limit. The border authorities are aware of the prices of liquor, and hence you will not be able to negotiate the amount.
Please DO NOT DRINK at the border, as this may result in you being denied entry!


Ponta do Ouro and Ponta Malongane is classified as a low risk malaria area - please speak to your GP regarding the necessity of precautionary medication. You will need to pack mosquito deterrents such as Tabard, Peaceful Sleep, Doom coils etc.

Although it is possible to buy basic groceries in Ponta do Ouro it is advisable to take your own meat from home as well as any luxury food items you may need. We suggest that all meat be vacuum packed.

There is a liquor store and water, juices and soda drinks can be bought in town.

Please note that no food can be taken back over the border, and will be confiscated.

The local market sells basic fruit, vegetables, dry groceries, peri-peri sauce and bread.

Charcoal - Ideally bring your own charcoal, also to save the forest here in the region plus it is much cheaper to bring brickettes from your local supermarket.

The water in Ponta do Ouro and Ponta Malongane is not fit for drinking and can at times have a brownish colour and rusty smell. This water is fine for showering etc but bottled water should be used for drinking.

There is a curio market in Ponta that sells lovely handmade products. Please be aware that the SA government prohibits wooden items to be transported across the border and so goods are often confiscated at the border post.

Other items that may be confiscated at the border when returning to SA are: Fruit, vegetables, meat and fish.

South African Rands, Mozambican Meticais and US Dollars are accepted in town. Credit cards are accepted at certain places however there are often problems with Master cards. VISA cards are preferred. There is a bank in town square with an ATM.

It is compulsory for any South African vehicle, caravan or trailer to have a ZA sign displayed when it crosses any of the borders. The ZA sign must be placed on the rear of each vehicle, caravan and trailer in a visible position and may not be within 150mm of the rear number plate.

When travelling in Mozambique with a vehicle in tow, you are required to display a set of blue & yellow warning triangles. One triangle must be placed on the front right bumper of the vehicle and the other on the rear of the vehicle towed.

When travelling with any South African registered vehicle in Mozambique you will need to have a set of red warning triangles in your possession.
Regulations as follows:
Each side of your triangle must be 500mm long and 50mm wide, with a thickness of roughly 5mm.
The triangle must be uniformly-covered in red reflective material.
The back of the triangle must either be uniformly white, or have a 5mm-wide white border.
The edge of the triangle must be yellow.
The reflective surfaces must be well-maintained.
The triangle must be visible from at least 100m in the presence of light.

It is now compulsory for motorists to carry the reflective jackets when travelling to Mozambique. Your reflective vest must be made from polyester and it must be closable at the front and adjustable on all sides. The vest must be equipped with polyvinyl reflective strips, no less than 400mm wide, in yellow or green on the front, to the sides, and on the back of the vest. The vest must be worn when at the scene of a car accident, when repairing your vehicle on the side of the road, and when reloading cargo that has fallen from your vehicle on to the road.

Please note that all rates are subject to change.

Cell Phones in Ponta do Ouro - Vodacom, purchase a sim card at one of the barrakas where you see the Vodacom signs and save yourself some money, especially if you have friends and family here on holiday with you..

Mozambique News

News regarding immigration law in South Africa

If any children are travelling overseas or across borders, parents are required to provide unabridged birth certificates at the borders.

Please see links below. Source from Immigration SA and News 24.com and Fine24.com

What do you need to know?

Parents traveling with children would now be requested to provide an unabridged birth certificate of all traveling children according to the new South African immigration law. This applies even when both parents are traveling with their children and it also applies to foreigners and South Africans alike.

In the case of one parent traveling with a child, they would need the following:

• An unabridged birth certificate showing both parent’s details and an affidavit consenting from the absent parent that they acknowledge that the child will be traveling as well as an Id or passport copy.

• In the case of one parent being deceased a death certificate will be required

In terms of the new immigration law children traveling without there biological parents or legal guardians and being accompanied by adults need to produce the following:

• A written affidavit from both parents or legal guardian consenting the trip.

• Copies of parents or guardian identification book or passport.

• Full contact details of the parents or guardians of the child or children.

The new immigration law is already in forced but the above rules will only be enforced as of 1 October 2014.
Please Note that it takes 6 weeks or more after application to get a unabridged birth certificate.